Mesa Verde Gardens is a grassroots program with minimal staffing run primarily by our own member families. We aim for a revenue model of member fees, grants and individual donations. Members pay $8/month to cover land and water costs. Most other funds come from local foundations and individuals. As our program continues to grow, so does our need for funding to make these projects possible. Please consider supporting Mesa Verde Gardens in one of the following ways:
* Mail a check payable to Mesa Verde Gardens to us at 85 Nielson Street, Watsonville, CA 95076
* Donate securely online using the DONATE button below
Still have questions or ideas? Contact us at mesaverdegardens[at]gmail.com for more information!
Typical program costs are:
- $15,000–$18,000: Cost of a new garden launch (for 35–45 families)
- $10,000: Cost of launching a seedling propagation project that will generate revenue for a few of our experienced gardeners
- $7,500: Cost of hiring one of our skilled members as quarter-time Facilities Manager
- $4,500: Annual cost of training and coaching our team of Peer Leaders
- $1,000: Cost of 7 rainwater catchment barrels for installation next to toolsheds or buildings adjacent to our gardens
- $500: Cost of installing 4 owl boxes in our largest garden to control gophers
In-Kind & Material Donations
Our current wish list includes:
- Arable land
- Irrigation materials, both underground (PVC) and above ground (drip tape) systems
- Viable seeds and seedlings
- New or gently used long-handled tools
- Push Rototillers
The areas where we are most in need of skilled volunteers are:
- Social media
- Seedling propagation
- Dedicated orchard volunteers, either with fruit tree care experience or an interest in learning.
We don’t have much need for garden volunteers from the larger community, as the vast majority of our members (farm workers) are highly-skilled, experienced gardeners. Having lived around and worked in agriculture throughout their lives, they are proud of their agricultural traditions, knowledge and style of gardening.
Volunteers at an Orchard Work Day